Seminar on the Palestinian Struggle and Globalisation
The conference aims to bring together Israelis, Palestinians and internationals from different civil society organizations who are interested in enhancing their background concerning the Israeli-Palestinian struggle within the global context.
The conference will take place at the Bethlehem Hotel and all the arrangements concerning transportation, hosting, food and security have been taken care of.
There is a small fee for participation.
For more information, please contact Yasser Akawi: 02-6241159 or 057-255220 or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
המרכז לאנפורמציה אלטרנטיבית עורך כנס בינ"ל בנושא:
A Middle East without Wars and Oppression is Possible
An International Seminar on the Palestinian Struggle and Globalization
Palestine and the Palestinian struggle has become the focal point for the movement for an alternative globalization. In all "anti globalization" gatherings and demonstrations around the world, the Palestinian flag is raised and slogans in support of the Palestinian people are chanted. The social movements adopt the Palestinian cause motivated by a strong drive for justice and rejecting the last remanding colonial project. Yet for many the links between the Palestinian case and globalization remains unclear.
Since the dawn of imperialism the Middle East was central to the European countries that controlled and colonized the region leading its nations to never ending wars, ferrous dictatorships, poverty end dependency. The Zionist settlement project was part of this European penetration subjugating and transforming the Palestinians into a nation of refugees.
Is the age of globalization different? Is "military globalization" similar to imperialism? Is the role of Israel in the region changing? What are the perspectives for the peoples in the Arab East? How should we work to build a sustainable peace in the region? What should be the strategies to make a different Middle East possible?
The Alternative Information Center is organizing an international seminar to discus and to analyze the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in the framework of the military globalization. We wish to set questions on the table and to look for common strategies of resistance to war and oppression. We are looking for a convergence between Palestinian, Israeli and international activists to make a future without wars possible in the Middle East.
Day 1, Friday 29.8.2003
9:00- 9:30 Opening remarks: Hebe de Bonafini (Madres de Plaza de Mayo, Argentina)
9:30 - 11:00 First session: The Palestinian cause after the war in Iraq
* The map of the Middle East after the war on Iraq, Daphna Baram
* Reform and restructuring of the Palestinian society, Dr. Majed Nassar
* Palestine and the Anti Globalization movement, Nassar Ibrahim
11:00 - 11:30 Coffee break
11:30 - 12:30 Second session: Inside <ぐ颵ᇏ芻ꨀ봀scroll>Israel
* The Social Movement in Israel, Marcelo Waksler
* The Israeli political parties Chaim Baram
* Democracy made in Israel, Jamal Zahalka
* The Israeli resistance to the Israeli occupation, Yossi Schwartz
12:30 - 14:30 Lunch
14:30 - 16:00 Third session: The economic dimension of globalization
* The political economy of Israel, Hussein Abu Namel- Beirut
* The Israeli (war) economy, Shimshon Bichler
* The Palestinian economy, (to be announced)
16:00 - 18:00 Towards the Conference in Bilbao: Building a Network Against the Occupation
18:00 - 20:00 Dinner at the Bedouin tent in Beit Sahour
9:00 - 9:30 Opening remarks, MST Brazil
9:30 - 10:30 First session: International dimensions
* The age of unreason: diplomacy, Zionist propaganda and the Palestinian catastrophe 1943 - 1949, Jason Kendall Moore
* Globalization: clashes of civilization or political economic hegemony, (to be announced)
* The cultural dimension of Globalization, Muhammad Farhat
* The anti globalization movement, from Porto Allegre to Palestine, Michael Warschawski(Mikado)
10:30 - 11:00 Coffee break
11:00 - 12:30 Second session: An alternative vision for peace
* The role of alternative globalization movement in supporting the Palestinian cause, Christophe Agiton, Attac France
* A joint Palestinian Israeli and international popular movement to end the occupation, Ilan Pappe
* A vision for peace, Rifat Odeh
12:30 - 15:00 Lunch
15:00 - 17:00 The Social Forums (Mediterranean, European, World)
17:00 - 19:00 Thank you notes, resume and end of seminar
19:00 - 21:00 music evening
9:00 - 11:00 Press conference in Ramallah
11:00 16:00 Alternative tours: Bethlehem and the settlements or Jerusalem
* The International is supported by Hirugarren Mundua ta Bakea/Paz y Tercer Mundo (Euskal Herria), The Basque Government and Medico International (Germany)